Hoanib Valley CampKaokoland, Namibia
In an area called Kaokoland, situated deep in Namibia’s north-western corner, the elegant Hoanib Valley Camp immerses you into a remote and wild desert environment. The intimate camp is a partnership between the local community and Giraffe Conservation Foundation, the world’s only Africa-wide giraffe conservation organisation.
- The area is an impressive melting pot of towering mountains, sand dunes, and huge expanses of desert, scattered with unique desert-adapted wildlife and nomadic Himba settlements.
- The 6 guest tents blend almost perfectly into the desert environment. Its colours, textures and patterns are inspired by the Hoanib; the dunes’ rich ochre, the geometric patterns of the Himba and, of course, the giraffe.
- Embark on a guided nature walk and discover the desert’s smaller flora and fauna of. This is one of the best places to see desert adapted elephant and giraffe, lion, rhino, mountain zebra, oryx and to track endangered rhino.
- Cultural excursions to the Himba and local Herero people will impress visitors.
- At the end of a long day, enjoy a refreshing G&T in the privacy of your own veranda.
- Learn more about the giraffe research, or spend time with the local Herero people and learn a little of their fascinating life in the harsh desert climate.